While on the phone with my sister the other day, she told me about this wonderful concoction that she made for breakfast. Into her regular oatmeal, she mixed some banana and chocolate chips. I suddenly got very quiet on my end of the phone. After a few seconds, I proclaimed, "I can make that into a cookie!"
The recipe has very little sugar or fat. It is mostly held together with the bananas which keep the cookies quite moist.
3 mashed bananas (approximately 1 ¼ cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup rolled oats (old fashioned or quick oats)
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the mashed bananas, vanilla, and water. Incorporate the shortening to the banana mixture.
- Slowly incorporate the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until blended.
- Stir in the oats, followed by chocolate chips.
- Rest the mixture for about 10 minutes to allow the rolled oats to soften. If you are using quick oats, you can skip this step.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Makes approximately 18 medium-sized cookies.