Monday, June 13, 2011

Baked Mujadara (an untested) Recipe

Sometimes I randomly get ideas for recipes.  When it happens, it is like one of those mythical "eureka" moments. I sit bolt upright and think, "yes, that might actually work!"  Most of the time, I just don't have the ingredients and the thought just passes.

Today, while reading a novel in my spacious living room/dining room/bedroom, I came up with an idea for a recipe.  I have been trying to come up with a yummy vegetarian recipe that I could eat at holiday meals.  I think this might be perfect.  It's kind of a baked mujadara.

Unfortunately, this brainstorm occurred after I had gone shopping, so I don't have the necessary ingredients.  I'll probably go shopping again in a few days; hopefully, I'll be able to try the recipe some time next week.

By the time I test and tweak the recipe, it might actually be something kind of special, but here's the rough draft.

1 cup of brown rice (cook according to directions)
2 cups of brown lentils (either precooked or cooked according to manufacturers directions)
1 can of black beans (pureed)
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Sauté the onion with 2 Tbsp of olive oil (reserve 2 Tbsp for later).  When the onion starts to caramelize add the garlic.  When the garlic is lightly browned, mix in the brown rice and lentils.  Add the cumin, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to the mixture.  Combine 2 Tbsp with the pureed black beans and combine the puree with the lentil and rice mixture (in lieu of using eggs, the puree is the binder).  Finally add most of the pine nuts to the mixture.

Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and put the mixture into the muffin cups.  Unlike with traditional muffins, this recipe will not rise, so you can fill them to the top.  Because I have never made this recipe, I have no clue how much it will make.  I imagine it might fill 6 cups or it might fill 12.  Sprinkle some pine nuts on top of each "muffin".

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the tops are browned.

I imagine that this recipe could also be a great way to use leftover rice.

Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment