Sunday, October 30, 2011

Apple Chutney Recipe

About a week ago I bought a bag of small apples, and I just haven't been able to eat all of them. THERE WERE SOOOOO MANY APPLES!!  (I ate about 3 a day for the last week).  I'm not much of a fan of soft apples, so I decided to whip up a chutney with the rest. This is the simplest of the chutney recipes that I have created.

If you aren't a fan of raisins, feel free to replace them with some other dried fruit (I think chopped, dried apricots would be delicious - I just didn't have any).

I also wanted to lighten up the recipe a little. I cut back on the sugar and eliminated the oil.

Ingredients

Cooking Spray
1/2 tsp chile flakes
1 cup diced yellow onion (approx. 1 medium onion)
5 cups apple - cored and diced (approx. 2 medium apples)
1 cup unsweetened apple cider
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix
1/2 cup raisins or golden raisins
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
Zest of one orange

Preparation
Spray a sauce pan with the cooking spray, heat the pan, and add the chile flakes. Be careful not to burn the chile, just toast it long enough to toast the chile flakes. Add the onions and sweat until soft.

Gradually add the diced apple.

Add the apple cider, cider vinegar, honey/sugar, curry powder, and pumpkin pie spice mix. Stir to combine. Add the raisins, salt, pepper, and orange zest. Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow to reduce for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.

I used a mild yellow curry powder but feel free to use a spicier blend if you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment