Monday, November 25, 2013

Spiced Tomato Jelly with the flavors of chutney



I have been toying with making jam for the last few months.  I played with various types of fruit jams (many of which I flavored with bourbon) before making a delicious onion jam.  This experience with making a savory jam made me remember a delicious spiced tomato jelly that I had at the American Culinary Federation Northeast Conference ages ago.  I never received a copy of that recipe, so I decided to approximate something similar but equally delicious.  This is the result.  I think it would be great as a ketchup replacement or even just served on crackers with a touch of cheddar.


48 fluid ounces of tomato juice
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons Garam Masala spice mix
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ cup vinegar
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup molasses
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
5 tablespoons low-sugar pectin
Zest of ½ of a navel orange

Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  Increase the temperature to a rolling boil.  Add the pectin and boil for at least 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add the orange zest.

Makes approximately six cups of jelly or 6 one-cup jars of jelly.

If desired, follow standard processing procedures to preserve your jars of jelly or just pop it in the refrigerator.  Unprocessed, it will last about 6 weeks in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment