Monday, July 25, 2011

Apocalypse Cakes - Book Review

Those who know me know that I have a preoccupation with the end of the world.  This interest is not based on any particular belief that the world is going to end soon, rather it is centered mostly on a fascination with what other people believe about the end of the world.  I read about the apocalypse, watch films about the apocalypse, and even have a collection of works stored on my Kindle which are recommended as preparation for the zombie apocalypse.reading

Needless to say, I was delighted when a friend recently gave me Apocalypse Cakes: Recipes for the End by Shannon O'Malley.

This book recognizes that even during the end of days, we may need a treat.  Some recipes require limited ingredients (e.g. The Seismic Haitian Mud Cake needs only mud, shortening, and salt) while other require some... um... specialty ingredients (e.g. virgin's blood and a sacrificial knife are optional ingredients for the Hail the Devil's Food Cake).  Even among these less practical recipes, there are some pastries that seem absolutely delicious (e.g. The Swarm of Locusts Grasshopper Pie).

While I prefer improvisation over following recipes, I genuinely want to try some of these recipes soon.  The book itself is whimsical, but many of the recipes seem solid.  I hope that they will be as delicious as they seem (minus the virgin's blood).  Each recipe is accompanied by a photograph and a delightful description.  It is a unique book which will look great in anyone's post-apocalyptic kitchen.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment