Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Vegan Chocolate-Orange Frosting Recipe

I came up with this recipe to frost my Vegan Swedish Fish Cupcakes, and it was surprisingly easy to make.  I had only ever made cream cheese frostings before and always assumed that chocolate frosting would be a pain to make.  That's why they have such great tubs of it at the grocery store, right?  I was horribly mistaken and will probably never buy another tub of chocolate icing again.

I used this recipe from Hershey's as my inspiration, but ended up tweaking it quite a bit because I'm apparently incapable of just following a recipe without "improving" on it.  Still, it turned out lovely and tastes a bit like a Terry's Chocolate Orange.

Ingredients

1/2 cup vegan margarine
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup rice milk (or an appropriate analogue)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure orange extract

Melt the margarine. Stir in the cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, while beating. 

If the frosting is still thick, add a few more drops of rice milk. Stir in vanilla and orange extract.

Makes about 1 ½ cups of frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment