Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Vegan Vanilla-Chai Cupcake Recipe


I'm apparently on a bit of a cupcake kick.  I really enjoy making and sharing them.  Cupcakes are just a wonderful food.  They are serving-sized cakes!  How can that be a bad thing?

This serving-sized cake is spicy, sweet, and delicious.  I put frosting on some of them, but I actually prefer them plain.  They are just so yummy.


Ingredients
1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed until liquid
2/3 cup demerara sugar (or raw sugar)
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 ½ cups lite coconut milk (warmed to room temperature)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons garam masala spice mix**
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a muffin pan with 12 paper baking cups.

Beat together the coconut oil and sugar. Mix in the coconut milk and cider vinegar. Add the vanilla extract. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix in the garam masala and ginger. Combine well.

Slowly incorporate the flour taking care not to over mix.

Portion out the batter into the pre-lined muffin pan.

Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

Makes 12 cupcakes.

I frosted my some of my cupcakes with this frosting, but I like them better without the frosting.



** Check the ingredients on your garam masala mix.  I accidentally picked up one with onion and garlic powder.  They didn't taste horrible, but they didn't taste good.  I recommend McCormicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment